- This event has passed.
Introduction to Adaptive Leadership | Public Workshop
September 23 @ 8:00 am – September 29 @ 12:00 pm EDT
Eric R. Martin (author of Your Leadership Moment) has a workshop for you to build partnerships and learn how to deal with business conflicts.
* Zoom or In-person TBD *
If in-person*: September 23-24; two full days
If virtually (Zoom): September 24, 27-29; four half-days
* Announcement to be made shortly based on the latest CDC recommendations
Leverage Your Leadership Moment
This blended workshop lays out basic concepts of Adaptive Leadership (TM). Adaptive Leadership is a practical framework developed at Harvard University for leading change, particularly during times of uncertainty or when there are no easy answers. This is the premier Adaptive Leadership offering outside of Harvard.
Whom this workshop is for
Leading any form of change initiative is complex. You need to work across organizational boundaries, build partnerships, deal with conflict and overcome differences in values, visions and desired outcomes. Plus you need to have a thick skin!
- Experienced leader, practitioner or facilitator working with a purpose-led agenda in or across organizations
- Currently or expect to be leading an organization or initiative that is likely to challenge prevailing and entrenched values and beliefs
- Keen to strengthen your effectiveness and personal resilience as a leader
Is there a tough and seemingly intractable problem you face in your work or civic life?
Bring a specific project, initiative or leadership challenge to the workshop. Learn how to get unstuck by applying the tools and techniques of Adaptive Leadership, which is a critical skillset for anyone looking to drive systemic change in an increasingly complex world.
What we’ll explore
Drawing on years of sharp-end experience in the field, the workshop builds your professional and personal capacity to: lead in complex, political, ambiguous environments; manage the personal risks and pressures of leadership; build vibrant alliances for cross-border collaboration; and design strategies for generating change.
- Build capacity for leveraging authority and power within and across diverse groups
- Heighten awareness to the intricate dynamics of human systems
- Deepen insight into issues of trust, political sensitivities, resistance and tolerance for change, conflict and distress
- Strengthen ability to lead adaptively in multi-stakeholder environments and change initiatives
- Create a confidential space for reflection, exploration and advice on personal risk-taking and learning
- Understand the root cause of a stubborn and recurring challenge in your organization, team, or community
- Partner with those who are in position of authority or power
- Leverage your own power for change
- Design an experiment that strengthens your ability to create lasting change
- Learn to lead adaptively in environments with trust issues, political sensitivities, resistance, conflict, and distress
You can choose to pay what a normal workshop of this level of quality costs, or you may choose more, less, or even zero. We cannot really put a number value on it. That is not because we don’t think it is valuable. It is because we don’t know what the value will be for you, especially given the wide diversity of financial means out there.
Therefore, we offer the workshop as a gift, trusting the generosity of participants to support us in developing and sustaining learning like this one. The ACA team trusts your judgement about what represents a commitment on your part and respects your financial situation.
You will choose a fee that feels right to you, any amount. Whatever you choose, all content will be fully available to you. However, a fully refundable $500 deposit is required to hold your seat. This helps us to minimize last-minute cancellations. After completing the workshop, you can adjust the actual amount you pay (+ or -) after the program. No pressure and no judgement if you pay less than the market rate, or pay nothing at all. The normal market rates are: Corporate $2,000, Nonprofit/Govt $1,500
You’re part of something bigger
By joining this workshop, you’re also a member of Gather, our overarching online space for community and coursework. Gather members hail from around the world and from different backgrounds – all dedicated in their own unique way to the exercise of democratizing leadership.
If online, the workshop takes place over four intensive 1/2 days. If in-person, if possible, it takes place over two days. After the workshop, participants become members of the Gather community of leadership practitioners worldwide, and receive 12 months of ongoing communication and support. Workshop times (EDT), subject to minor changes:
If in-person (New York City):
- September 23 8:30am – 5:00pm
- September 24 8:30am – 5:00pm
If virtual (Zoom):
- September 24 Noon – 4:00pm
- September 27 8:00am – Noon
- September 28 Noon – 4:00pm
- September 29 8:00am – Noon
Eric R. Martin is a renown Adaptive Leadership trainer, advisor and speaker at places such as: The White House Executive Office of Presidential Personnel, Google, Rockefeller Foundation, Microsoft, Verizon, US Business Council for Sustainable Development, United Nations Innovation Network, World Bank, Grantmakers for Effective Organizations, Aspen Institute, Cornell University, and Acumen. Eric’s work to “democratize leadership” has put the powerful framework, tools and techniques of Adaptive Leadership into the hands of hundreds of thousands of people worldwide.
Democratizing Leadership in an Age of Authoritarianism
Be a leader who changes the world. Your Leadership Moment is an account of the democratizing leadership of three ordinary people leading extraordinary change. It’s an exciting expansion of Adaptive Leadership that can help anyone learn to lead. Through stories of success and failure, Martin teaches what’s possible when people discover the capacity and courage to lead regardless of identity, history, or access to power and financial capital. His book provides tools and techniques to discover and leverage your leadership moments for a better world.