Cerridwen Greenleaf, author of the upcoming The Herbal Healing Handbook, has written a new blog post on how to use essential oils to relieve stress and decreases anxiety and depression.
Put simply, essential oils have aromatic, fragrant molecules that can actually pass right through the blood/brain barrier, having a direct effect on the areas of our brain in charge of controlling feelings of stress and anxiety and even panic and depression.
- Breath in deeply: Rub 1-2 drops in cupped palms and take a long, deep breath
- Apply to your skin: Rub 1-2 drops of oil into your temples, wrists or anywhere, for full body relaxation
- As a quick pick me up: Put a few drops on a handkerchief, cotton pad or on a scarf and inhale as needed. You’ll get instant calming support throughout your day.
- As a shower infusion: Immerse yourself in an essential oil steam by adding a couple of drops in your shower. Remember to plug or cover the drain and inhale deeply.
- In a diffuser: To get long-lasting benefit, use a diffuser
Marjoram lessens fear, loneliness and grief
Lime is a spirit lifter
Jasmine shifts moods upward
Roman chamomile quells anxiety and soothes moods
Grapefruit inculcates a feeling of happiness
Sandalwood alleviate dark moods and lifts emotions up
Basil is effective against depression, worry, and fatigue
Clary sage helps with insomnia, apprehension and bad dreams–
Frankincense helps calm breathing and nerves
Peppermint reduces stress and tension
Geranium is natural sedative and releases release negativity, stress, and depression
Neroli is invigorating and anger, panic, irritation, or fear
The Herbal Healing Handbook
How to Use Plants, Essential Oils and Aromatherapy as Natural Remedies
Heal the natural way. In her latest work, bestselling author Cerridwen Greenleaf shares the healing power of plants, roots, herbs, essential oils, aromatherapy, and all things natural remedies. If you are tired of automatically turning to chemical treatments, or just want to have more plant-based care options, The Herbal Healing Handbook is the book for you. It is a must have for those seeking health solutions that work from Mother Earth.